The Village Community Church of Wrightwood is an Elder-led, Independent Baptist Church.
Our services are held at the Wrightwood Community building,
1275 State Route 2, Wrightwood, CA
Statement of Faith
1. We believe…Man’s chief end is to glorify God, (1Co 10:31) and to enjoy him forever (Ps 73:25,26).
2. We believe…The Word of God which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments (Eph 2:20 2Ti 3:16) is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify God and enjoy him (1Jo 1:3).
3. We believe…The Scriptures principally teach what man is to believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of man (2Ti 1:13 Ec 12:13).
4. We believe…God is Spirit (Joh 4:24), infinite (Job 11:7), eternal (Ps 90:2 1Ti 1:17), and unchangeable (Jas 1:17), in his being, (Ex 3:14), wisdom, power (Ps 147:5), holiness (Re 4:8), justice, goodness and truth (Ex 34:6,7).
5. We believe…There is but one God only (De 6:4), the living and true God (Jer 10:10).
6. We believe…There are three persons in the Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one God, the same in essence, equal in power and glory (1Jo 5:7 Mt 28:19).
7. We believe…The decrees of God are his eternal purpose according to the counsel of his own will, whereby for his own glory he has foreordained whatever comes to pass (Eph 1:11,12).
8. We believe…God executes his decrees in the works of creation (Re 4:11), and providence (Da 4:35).
9. We believe…The work of creation is God’s making all things (Ge 1:1) of nothing, by the Word of his power (Heb 11:3), in six normal consecutive days (Ex 20:11), and all very good (Ge 1:31).
10. We believe…God created man, male and female, in his own image (Ge 1:27), in knowledge, righteousness, and holiness (Col 3:10 Eph 4:24) with dominion over the other creatures (Gen 1:28).
11. We believe…God’s works of providence are his most holy (Ps 145:17), wise (Isa 28:29), and powerful (Heb 1:3) preserving and governing all his creatures, and all their actions (Ps 103:19 Mt 10:29).
12. We believe…When God created man he entered into a covenant of life with him, upon condition of perfect obedience (Ga 3:12), forbidding him to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, upon the pain of death (Ge 2:17).
13. We believe…Our first parents, Adam and Eve, being left to the freedom of their own will, fell from the state wherein they were created, by sinning against God (Ec 7:29) by eating the forbidden fruit (Ge 3:6-8).
14. We believe…Sin is any lack of conformity to, or transgression of the law of God (1Jo 3:4).
15. We believe…The covenant being made with Adam, not only for himself but for his posterity, all mankind descending from him by ordinary generation, sinned in him, and fell with him in his first transgression (1Co 15:22 Ro 5:12).
16. We believe…This fall brought mankind into a state of sin and misery (Ro 5:18).
17. We believe…The sinfulness of that state into which man fell, consists in the guilt of Adam’s first sin (Ro 5:19), the lack of original righteousness (Ro 3:10), and the corruption of his whole nature, which is commonly called original sin (Eph 2:1 Ps 51:5), together with all actual transgressions which proceed from it (Mt 15:19).
18. We believe…All mankind, by their fall, lost communion with God (Ge 3:8,24), are under his wrath and curse (Eph 2:3; Ga 3:10), and therefore made liable to all the miseries in this life, to death itself, and to the agony of hell for ever (Ro 6:23 Mt 25:41).
19. We believe…God having, out of his good pleasure from all eternity, elected some to everlasting life (2Th 2:13) did enter into a covenant of grace to deliver them out of the state of sin and misery, and to bring them into a state of salvation by a Redeemer (Ro 5:21).
20. We believe…The only Redeemer of God’s elect is the Lord Jesus Christ (1Ti 2:5), who being the eternal Son of God, became man (Joh 1:14) and therefore was and continues to be God and man, in two distinct natures and one person forever (1Ti 3:16 Col 2:9).
21. We believe…Christ, the Son of God, became man by taking to himself a true body (Heb 2:14) and a rational soul (Mt 26:38 Heb 4:15), being conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit in the virgin Mary, and born of her (Lu 1:31,35) yet without sin (Heb 7:26).
22. We believe…Christ as our Redeemer executes the offices of a prophet (Ac 3:22), of a priest (Heb 5:6), and of a king (Ps 2:6), both in his state of humiliation and exaltation.
23. We believe…Christ executes the office of a prophet, in revealing to us (Joh 1:18), by his Word (Joh 20:31), and Spirit (Joh 14:26), the will of God for our salvation.
24. We believe…Christ executes the office of a priest, in his offering up himself a onetime sacrifice to satisfy divine justice (Heb 9:28), and to reconcile us to God (Heb 2:17) and in making continual intercession for us (Heb 7:25).
25. We believe…Christ executes the office of a king in subduing us to himself (Ps 110:3), in ruling and defending us (Mt 2:6 1Co 15:25) and in restraining and conquering all his and our enemies.
26. We believe…Christ’s humiliation consisted in his being born, and that in a humble condition (Lu 2:7) made under the law (Ga 4:4), undergoing the miseries of this life (Isa 53:3), the wrath of God (Mt 27:46), and the cursed death of the cross (Php 2:8); in being buried, and continuing under the power of death for a time (Mt 12:40).
27. We believe…Christ’s exaltation consists in his rising again from the dead on the third day (1Co 15:4), in ascending up into heaven, and sitting at the right hand of God the Father (Mr 16:19), and in coming to judge the world at the last day (Ac 17:31).
28. We believe…We are made partakers of the redemption purchased by Christ, by the effectual application of it to us (Joh 1:12) by his Holy Spirit (Tit 3:5,6).
29. We believe…The Spirit applies to us the redemption purchased by Christ, by working faith in us (Eph 2:8) and by it uniting us to Christ in our effectual calling (Eph 3:17).
30. We believe…Effectual calling is the work of God’s Spirit (2Ti 1:9) whereby, convincing us of our sin and misery (Ac 2:37), enlightening our minds in the knowledge of Christ (Ac 26:18), and renewing our wills (Eze 36:26), he persuades and enables us to embrace Jesus Christ freely offered to us in the gospel (Joh 6:44,45).
31. We believe…They who are effectually called, do in this life partake of justification, (Ro 8:30), adoption (Eph 1:5), sanctification, and the various benefits which in this life do either accompany, or flow from them (1Co 1:30).
32. We believe…Justification is an act of God’s free grace, wherein he pardons all our sins (Ro 3:24 Eph 1:7), and accepts us as righteous in his sight (2Co 5:21) only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us (Ro 5:19), and received by faith alone (Ga 2:16 Php 3:9).
33. We believe…Adoption is an act of God’s free grace (1Jo 3:1) whereby we are received into, and have a right to all the privileges of the sons of God (Joh 1:12 Ro 8:17).
34. We believe…Sanctification is the work of God’s Spirit (2Th 2:13) whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God (Eph 4:24) and are enabled more and more to die to sin, and live to righteousness (Ro 6:11).
35. We believe…The benefits which in this life come along with or flow from justification (Ro 5:1,2,5), are assurance of God’s love, peace of conscience, joy in the Holy Spirit (Ro 14:17), increase of grace, perseverance in grace to the end (Pr 4:18 1Jo 5:13 1Pe 1:5).
36. We believe…The souls of believers are at their death made perfect in holiness (Heb 12:23) and immediately pass into glory (Php 1:23 2Co 5:8 Lu 23:43), and their bodies, being still united to Christ (1Th 4:14) rest in their graves (Isa 57:2) till the resurrection (Job 19:26).
37. We believe…At the resurrection, believers being raised up in glory (1Co 15:43), shall be openly acknowledged and acquitted in the day of judgment (Mt 10:32), and made perfectly blessed both in soul and body in the full enjoying of God (1Jo 3:2) to all eternity (1Th 4:17).
38. We believe…The souls of the wicked shall at their death be cast into the torments of hell (Lu 16:22-24), and their bodies lie in their graves till the resurrection and judgment of the great day (Ps 49:14).
39. We believe…At the day of judgment, the bodies of the wicked being raised out of their graves, shall be sentenced, together with their souls, to unspeakable torments with the devil and his angels forever (Da 12:2 Joh 5:28,29 2Th 1:9 Mt 25:41).
40. We believe…The rule which God first revealed to man for his obedience is the moral law (De 10:4 Mt 19:17) which is summarized in the ten commandments.
41. We believe…The sum of the ten commandments is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our strength, and with all our mind; and our neighbor as ourselves (Mt 22:37-40).
42. We believe…No mere man, since the fall, is able to perfectly keep the commandments of God in this life (Ec 7:20), but daily breaks them in thought (Ge 8:21), word (Jas 3:8), and deed (Jas 3:2).
43. We believe…Some sins are more heinous in the sight of God than others (Joh 19:11; 1Jo 5:15).
44. We believe…Every sin deserves God’s wrath and curse, both in this life and that which is to come (Eph 5:6 Ps 11:6).
45. We believe…To escape the wrath and curse of God due to us for sin, we must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Joh 3:16), trusting alone in his blood and righteousness. This faith is accompanied by repentance for the past (Ac 20:21), and leads to holiness in the future.
46. We believe…Faith in Jesus Christ is a saving grace (Heb 10:39), whereby we receive (Joh 1:12), and rest upon him alone for salvation (Php 3:9), as he is set forth in the gospel (Isa 33:22).
47. We believe…Repentance to life is a saving grace (Ac 11:18), whereby a sinner, out of a true sense of his sins (Ac 2:37), and apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ (Joe 2:13), with grief and hatred of his sin, turns from it to God (Jer 31:18,19), with full purpose to strive after new obedience (Ps 119:59).
48. We believe…The outward and ordinary means by which the Holy Spirit communicates to us the benefits of Christ’s redemption, are the Word, by which souls are begotten to spiritual life; Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, Prayer, and Meditation, by all which believers are further edified in their most holy faith (Ac 2:41,42; Jas 1:18).
49. We believe…The Spirit of God makes the reading, but especially the preaching of the Word, an effectual means of convicting and converting sinners (Ps 19:7), and of building them up in holiness and comfort (1Th 1:6), through faith to salvation (Ro 1:16).
50. We believe…In order that the Word may become effectual to salvation, we must attend to it with diligence (Pr 8:34; 1Pe 2:1,2), and prayer (Ps 119:18) receive it with faith (Heb 4:2), and love (2Th 2:10), lay it up in our hearts (Ps 119:11), and practice it in our lives (Jas 1:25).
51. We believe…Baptism and the Lord’s Supper become spiritually helpful, not from any virtue in them, or in him who administers them (1Co 3:7 1Pe 3:21), but only by the blessing of Christ (1Co 3:6) and the working of the Spirit in those who by faith receive them (1Co 12:13).
52. We believe…Baptism is an ordinance of the New Testament, instituted by Jesus Christ (Mt 28:19) to be to the person baptized a sign of his fellowship with him, in his death, and burial, and resurrection (Ro 6:3 Col 2:12), of his being engrafted into him (Ga 3:27), of remission of sins (Mr 1:4 Ac 22:16), and of his giving up himself to God through Jesus Christ, to live and walk in newness of life (Ro 6:4,5).
53. We believe…Baptism is to be administered to all those who actually profess repentance towards God (Ac 2:38 Mt 3:6; Mr 16:16 Ac 8:12,36,37 10:47,48), and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and to none other.*
56. We believe…It is the duty of those who are baptized, to give up themselves to a particular and orderly Church of Jesus Christ (Ac 2:47 Ac 9:26 1Pe 2:5) that they may walk blamelessly in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord (Lu 1:6).
57. We believe…The Lord’s Supper is an ordinance of the New Testament, instituted by Jesus Christ; wherein, by giving and receiving bread and cup, according to his institution, his death is shown forth (1Co 11:23-26), and the worthy receivers are, by faith, made partakers of his body and blood, with all his benefits, to their spiritual nourishment, and growth in grace (1Co 10:16).
58. We believe…It is required of them who would worthily partake of the Lord’s Supper, that they examine themselves of their knowledge to discern the Lord’s body (1Co 11:28,29), of their faith to feed upon him, (2Co 13:5), of their repentance (1Co 11:31), love (1Co 11:18-20), and new obedience (1Co 5:8), because if they come unworthily, they eat and drink judgment to themselves (1Co 11:27-29).
59. We believe…The Word of God plainly teaches us that our Lord Jesus Christ will come a second time; which is the joy and hope of all believers (1 Cor 11:26; Ac 1:11; 1Th 4:16).
* Agreement with statement 53 is required for VCC leadership, but not membership.